Problems writing ELF dumps with makedumpfile 1.2.9

Ken'ichi Ohmichi oomichi at mxs.nes.nec.co.jp
Wed Oct 1 01:07:17 EDT 2008

Hi Kevin,

Ken'ichi Ohmichi wrote:
>> I've attached the log files from running strace.
>> Hopefully they contain some clue as to where this failure is occurring.
>> I tried specifying -d30 and it still failed. Both traces attached.
>
> Thank you for some log files.
>
> vmcore-d30.log:
>   open("/proc/vmcore", O_RDONLY)          = 4
>   [snip]
>   lseek(4, 2885288664, SEEK_SET)          = -1 EINVAL (Invalid argument)
>
> Your system has 4GB memory, and /proc/vmcore size is almost 4GB, right ?
> If yes, the above lseek() should *not* fail because the offset (almost 2.7GB)
> is in /proc/vmcore. So I guess that this problem is due to a kernel.

I should see the log more carefully.

According to your log, lseek(2) is called even if makedumpfile is
compiled by -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64. On my system (RHEL5), _llseek()
is called instead of it. This difference is due to each environment.

To fix it, I added both -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE and -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE
with -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 and I uploaded makedumpfile-1.3.0-rc02.tar.gz
to the following:

https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=178938&package_id=293160&release_id=629891

I guess/hope that this makedumpfile fixes your problem.
Please try it on your system.

Thanks
Ken'ichi Ohmichi