Question about forcing kernel panic on PowerMac G5 by kexec command

Mohan Kumar M mohan at in.ibm.com
Tue Apr 22 01:35:09 EDT 2008

gib wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> I’m working on PowerMac G5 complied with CONFIG_KEXEC = y.
>
> It’s work fine with Kexec command option l ( kexec –l /boot/vmlinux… )
> but after the capture kernel pre-loading ( by kexec –p /boot/vmlinux… ),

Hi Suchada,

What kernel version you are trying? Also what level of kexec-tools you use?

I hope you are aware that you need two different kernels for kdump,
first one is meant for normal use and another one is kdump kernel. Did
you compile the kdump kernel with CONFIG_CRASH_DUMP?

> when I forced kernel panic by “echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger” the console
> kept showing “Sending IPI to other CPU” and did not go to the next step.
>

> According to this list there was some problem about kdump in ppc970 based CPU which PowerMac’s CPU are.

There was a interrupt routing problem with specific ppc970 cpu type, but
that problem is fixed now.

Regards,
Mohan.