Question about forcing kernel panic on PowerMac G5 by kexec command

gib suchada.pitchayasamanya at toshiba.co.jp
Mon Apr 21 01:17:54 EDT 2008

Hello all,

I'm working on PowerMac G5 complied with CONFIG_KEXEC = y.

It's work fine with Kexec command option l ( kexec -l /boot/vmlinux. ) but
after the capture kernel pre-loading ( by kexec -p /boot/vmlinux. ),

when I forced kernel panic by "echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger" the console
kept showing "Sending IPI to other CPU" and did not go to the next step.

According to this list there was some problem about kdump in ppc970 based
CPU which PowerMac's CPU are.

Does anybody know about this issue? It would be very helpful for me.

Thanks in advance.

Suchada