wpa_supplicant 2.10 (also HEAD): mt7610 USB 5 GHz AP limited to 20 MHz, but hostapd can configure 80MHz?

Beniamino Galvani bgalvani at redhat.com
Wed May 3 08:18:18 PDT 2023

On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 10:10:02PM +0300, Leho Kraav wrote:

> > Please see this NetworkManager issue:
> >
> > https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/-/issues/1243
> >
> > One approach would be to make the channel width configurable in
> > NetworkManager, so that it can send the appropriate parameters to
> > wpa_supplicant.
> >
> > Or, if there is way for NM to detect the best parameters
> > automatically, that would be even better; but I'm not sure if this is
> > possible.
>
> Thanks, that's exactly the right issue on NM side.
>
> My thread opener here was looking for how to get wpa_supplicant to automatically do more.
> Looks like as we're heading into 2.11, such still won't be the available.
>
> "hostapd doesn't have DBus" - unlucky! Probably an even bigger project than getting wpa_supplicant upgraded?
>
> So that might leave us with NetworkManager as the fastest way forward:

> * could NM expose more "custom configuration" options? I doesn't
>   have to bear the full autoconfiguration burdain, and risk getting
>   things wrong.

Hi,

if you mean a generic "custom configuration" option in NM that lets
user pass arbitrary options to wpa_supplicant, that's not doable for
various reasons.

If instead you mean that NM should gain support for some specific
options, that sounds ok, the only problem is finding which ones. But
note that the purpose of NM is to abstract the complexity of
configuration and so it would be better to expose one single option
(for example "channel-width") that then configures wpa_supplicant with
the multiple options needed to achieve that.

> * can wpa_supplicant run a DBus configuration + custom enhancements in /etc/wpa_supplicant/*.conf?

I don't think so, for the interfaces controlled via D-Bus the
configuration comes all from D-Bus.

Beniamino