Hostapd 2.9 support for configuring 2 server certificates

Hello Users hellousers1987 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 21:19:53 PDT 2021

Thanks Jouni for your reply.

>How did you try to configure this? Did you follow the example and
documentation shown in hostapd/hostapd.conf for
server_cert2/private_key2/private_key_passwd2?

Yes, as per the documentation in hostapd.conf, I configured it as
below. ca_cert is having the certificate authority for both of these
certificates
ca_cert=/tmp/certs/ca-chain.cert.pem
server_cert=/tmp/certs/radiussrv.cert.pem
private_key=/tmp/certs/radiussrv.key.pem
private_key2=/tmp/tstserver.p12
private_key_passwd2=gwvajjjkgnap

With debug prints, we usually get the configured certificate dump
after hostapd initialization in hostapd:tls_global_set_params(). So
there it dumps only the 2nd certificate .i.e. 1st certificate is
always overwritten. I was able to connect with both of these
certificates if it is configured individually. Issue happens when 2
certificates are configured at a time.
So is it really possible for configuring 2 certificates at server side
so that based on client capability it connects with appropriate
certificates ?

>Please also note the comment about the number of deployed station/supplicant
implementations having interoperability issues with this capability.

So does that mean we should not go for this option ?

Thanks and regards.