Issue with hostapd+RPi3+Alpine

Eric Smyth eric at smythian.com
Fri Mar 23 21:59:17 PDT 2018

Hello all,
I've run into a roadblock trying to debug a hostapd PoC and I could
use some help.

I'm prototyping with hostapd running on Alpine Linux on a Rapsberry Pi
3 and I can't get a working configuration that utilizes RADIUS. If I
configure hostapd with `wpa_passphrase` or `wpa_psk_file`, all is
good. However, when I configure `macaddr_acl=2` as needed for
`wpa_psk_radius` or `wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-EAP`, then the conditional in
src/ap/drv_callbacks.c:190 evaluates to true and I receive a
"STA...not allowed to connect" message and the device is
disassociated; hostapd never checks with the RADIUS server. As far as
I can tell, the issue is due to the driver capabilities for
max_acl_mac_addrs being set to 0
(src/drivers/driver_nl80211_capa.c:635) since the ACL status is
pending (src/ap/ieee802_11_auth.c:215). However, I'm at a loss as to
next steps for debugging the issue. I believe the issue may be due to
my use of Alpine Linux as the same configurations work with Raspbian
(I plan to seek assistance from the Alpine community as well). In
addition to the onboard broadcom-based wifi adapter, I've reproduced
the issue with a Realtek-based Edimax EW-7811Un USB wifi adapter.

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

--
v/r
Eric

Minimal WPA-EAP hostapd config