Trouble with 802.11ac from a WLE900VX card (QCA9880 ath10k)

Brad Chesney bradchesney79 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 18:09:58 PST 2018

Hey, I really appreciate the help. At this time I feel I have
accomplished my goals to a sufficient degree with about the best
outcome one could hope for given the circumstances.

Additionally, posting this here so as to maximize my chance at
reducing suffering for "the next poor sap" as mentioned below.

JC, you know who you are!

==========

For the next poor sap that happens along...

This is my hostapd.conf file for the XB140 reference board based
Compex WLE900VX QCA9880 card:

    interface=wlp6s0
    driver=nl80211
    hw_mode=a
    ctrl_interface=/var/run/wlp6s0
    ctrl_interface_group=0
    max_num_sta=255

    #logger_syslog=-1
    #logger_syslog_level=2
    #logger_stdout=-1
    #logger_stdout_level=2

    #Details for Connecting Clients via WPA2 TKIP
    ssid=q2900mAC
    auth_algs=1
    wpa=2
    wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    wpa_pairwise=CCMP
    rsn_pairwise=CCMP
    wpa_passphrase=password

    #802.11d Regulatory Restrictions Designations for Which
Frequencies and Channels are Legal
    ieee80211d=1
    country_code=US

    #802.11n Configurations
    ieee80211n=1
    ht_capab=[LDPC][HT40+][SHORT-GI-20][SHORT-GI-40][TX-STBC][DSSS_CCK-40]

    #802.11ac Configurations
    ieee80211ac=1
    vht_capab=[SHORT-GI-80][MAX-MPDU-11454][RXLDPC][TX-STBC-2BY1][MAX-A-MPDU-LEN-EXP3][RX-ANTENNA-PATTERN][TX-ANTENNA-PATTERN]
    vht_oper_chwidth=1

    #How Many Units of Time Between Beacon Transmissions
    beacon_int=100
    #Multiplier of How Many Units of Time Between Beacon Transmissions
    dtim_period=2
    #(e.g. 100 milliseconds(ms) * 2 = 200 ms between beacons)

    #Something About WMM Clients Needing this
    wmm_enabled=1

    ###To Be Completely Honest-- I'm Not Entirely Certain What the
Rest of this file does

    #QoS Type of Traffic Management Based on Traffic Type

    #Background
    wmm_ac_bk_cwmin=4
    wmm_ac_bk_cwmax=10
    wmm_ac_bk_aifs=7
    wmm_ac_bk_txop_limit=0
    wmm_ac_bk_acm=0

    #Best Effort
    wmm_ac_be_aifs=3
    wmm_ac_be_cwmin=4
    wmm_ac_be_cwmax=10
    wmm_ac_be_txop_limit=0
    wmm_ac_be_acm=0

    #Video
    wmm_ac_vi_aifs=2
    wmm_ac_vi_cwmin=3
    wmm_ac_vi_cwmax=4
    wmm_ac_vi_txop_limit=94
    wmm_ac_vi_acm=0

    #Voice
    wmm_ac_vo_aifs=2
    wmm_ac_vo_cwmin=2
    wmm_ac_vo_cwmax=3
    wmm_ac_vo_txop_limit=47
    wmm_ac_vo_acm=0

Also, if you are stuck at 54Mbps-- 802.11g speeds --I needed to
**install the wpa_supplicant package**. My Samsung Note8 connects at
650Mbps with this configuration. I have not yet measured actual
throughput.

Last but not least, this answer would never have happened without the
selfless heroes over at

Dank je JC! Additional advice that was passed to me that I feel
comfortable with sharing: the Compex WLE1216v5-20 MIMO x 4 card is
better... https://www.compex.com.sg/product/wle1216v5-20/ (I cannot
confirm just yet from personal experience, but for what it is worth.)