frequent associations

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Jun 23 09:40:06 PDT 2017

On Fri, 2017-06-23 at 11:19 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:

> Is the client doing some kind of power management, where it goes to
> sleep and disconnects, but reconnects on wakeup, even if the screen
> (if
> it has one) doesn't come on?

Indeed.  I was coming around to that conclusion myself in fact.  The
client is an Android phone.

So I think the (very) frequent re-associations are apps waking the
phone up "in the background" for network accesses.

I think they slow down (as can be seen in my dump) nearer the end as
the amount of time the phone is "sleeping" for reaches a point where it
goes into "doze" mode at which point apps cannot wake up wifi any more
and have to wait for the "maintenance window".

I guess these frequent associations are a red-herring in my hunt for
why my phone is losing WiFi even while I am using it.

b.