[wpa_supplicant] Is there a way to limit peers (to about 12) for IBSS/adhoc?

Simon Wunderlich sw at simonwunderlich.de
Sat Jun 3 02:21:09 PDT 2017

Hi Xuebing,

are your devices all configured with on AP and one IBSS interface? Or even more
AP interfaces? What is the multicast rate you used?

One thing you need to consider is that in ath9k if you run AP and IBSS at the
same time (at least with OpenWRT), the distributed IBSS beaconing is disabled
and each node will beacon the "normal" ~10 times per second. That means with
AP and IBSS and 40 nodes, you end up with ~800 beacons per second. That might
be a problem (especially if all nodes are in the same spot).

To change this, you can try:

 * increase the multicast rate to e.g. 18 mbit/s (note, this may also change
the batman-adv neighbor range) and verify that the beacons are sent on higher
rates
 * disable some APs - you don't need so many anyway if they are all on the
same spot
 * increase the beacon interval on the APs- although some clients may not like
that.

.. anyway, that is all stuff you can try if you have the feeling the airtime
is "polluted", so I would suggest to verify if this is the cause first before
taking counter measures.

Cheers,
     Simon