wpa_supplicant fails to connect to mesh network

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Fri Oct 14 01:01:38 PDT 2016

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 11:31:28PM -0400, Bob Copeland wrote:
> Ok, I looked into this a bit more and what is happening is that:
>
>  - basic rates have to equal each other between peers,
>  - in the kernel, only 1 mbps rate is selected as a mandatory rate
>    (assuming 2.4 GHz) and thus used as the basic rate set, and
>  - in wpa_supplicant, the ERP mandatory rates are used for basic
>    rates by default
>
> So, this config with wpa_supplicant will probably get them talking
> (worked for me):
>
> network={
>     [...]
>     mesh_basic_rates=10
> }

It sounds like we should make either the kernel code or wpa_supplicant
(or both) to be able to learn the basic rates in an existing mesh and
adopt the current settings if there is no explicitly configured value in
the local configuration. It does not make much sense to me to fail join
a mesh due to something like this..