Wi-Fi direct concurrent connection

Taceant Omnes taceant at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 08:44:00 PDT 2016

On 11 October 2016 at 17:56, Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> wrote:

> Yes, within the limitations of the driver and hardware.  For example,
> your iw phy output shows that the driver supports both 'managed' (eg,
> STA) and P2P operations at the same time, *on the same channel*.  See
> the "supported interface combinations" section of the command output
> you pasted into your mail, specifically the "#channels <= 1" parts.
>
> eg, the hardware/driver are not capable of connecting to an AP on one
> channel while simultaneously being connected to a p2p device/group on
> another channel.
>
> So I would at least expect that it could be a STA and a P2P group owner
> at the same time, as long as the P2P stuff is using the same channel as
> the AP is on.

Hi Dan,

Thanks a lot, you hit the bull's eye!

Some months ago I set the wireless router to a fixed channel to lessen
channel overlap as we have several routers around the building.
To solve the problem today I did this:

p2p_group_add freq=2422

(The router is set for channel 3 which is at 2422 MHz).

> What does your P2P config look like?  Are you setting any of the
> p2p_*_channel options?  If you aren't specifying one, then it looks
> like the supplicant picks a random one, which won't work on your
> hardware.  That could be considered a bug in the supplicant, that it
> picks a random channel when the hardware/driver is already associated
> and cannot support more than one channel for concurrent operations.

If it is a bug or not I don't know. Perhaps it could be enhanced.

Thanks again.
T. O.