wpa_supplicant fails to connect to mesh network

Nathan Price ndpr43 at mst.edu
Fri Oct 7 10:29:39 PDT 2016

Hi all,

I'm looking for help using wpa_supplicant to join a mesh network.  I
have a number of mesh nodes successfully connected to a mesh network
via the terminal and iw commands.  I'd like to automate using
wpa_supplicant, but I can't get it to work.  I'm a bit of a Linux
noob, so please forgive me if I say something ignorant.  For hardware,
I'm using an Atheros wireless adapter with the ath9k_htc driver and
mac80211 driver. This is running on a Raspberry Pi running Raspbian
"Jessie".

I compiled wpa_supplicant 2.6 from source.  I made sure to
specifically include CONFIG_MESH, CONFIG_DRIVER_NL80211,
CONFIG_MESH_RSN, CONFIG_SAE in my .config.  The entire .config file is
rather long so I'll spare you.  Are there any other essential .config
settings for mesh networking specific to my setup?

My wpa_supplicant.config looks like this:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=adm
update_config=1
user_mpm=1

network={
    ssid="mz_mesh"
    key_mgmt=NONE
    mode=5
    frequency=2412
}

I ensured the default wpa_supplicant wasn't running then ran the newly
compiled version.  I launched wpa_supplicant with the following:
$ sudo /usr/local/sbin/wpa_supplicant -d -Dnl80211 -iwlan0 -c
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

After launching wpa_supplicant, I run "$ sudo iw dev wlan0 mpath
dump", but I have no peers.  While running, wpa_supplicant constantly
does a scan and reports "Avoiding join because we already joined a
mesh group".  It's finding the ssid of my mesh, but it won't join.
What do you think?

Thanks,
Nate