Question on wpa_supplicant running on Android 4.4.2

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Sat Nov 19 08:05:44 PST 2016

On 11/19/2016 07:26 AM, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 04:08:42PM -0800, Ben Greear wrote:
>> Anyone know a way I can tweak supplicant and/or android to give me more details?
>> I cannot install completely new software on this tablet.
>
> I'm not sure about this specific build since it has some non-upstream
> custom changes that I'm not familiar with. Based on more recent AOSP
> builds, it is pretty easy to add debug details through the Developer
> options menu item in Settings ("Enable Wi-Fi Verbose Logging").
>
> You could try running a command like "wpa_cli LOG_LEVEL MSGDUMP" if
> wpa_cli happens to be included in the build.

It didn't have wpa_cli on it.

One suggestion:  Allow setting log-level based on the config file.

But, I managed to hack around to start it with -ddd, and still no useful output
I could find, so maybe it was compiled w/out debugging.

Resolution was to just not open the wifi config window in Android.  Then it does not
constantly scan, and also it does not loose connectivity anymore.  I still don't know
root cause of why it lost connectivity, but could easily be bug in it's wifi driver/firmware,
which appeared to be broadcom.

Thanks,
Ben

--