vht_capab reading 0x0 but `iw list` says otherwise

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sat Oct 31 09:27:48 PDT 2015

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 03:45:56PM -0400, James Sumners wrote:
> I'm including the full output of `iw list` for my device and hostapd's
> log[1]. From my research, I believe I can use any of the DFS channels
> marked "(no IR, radar detection)" in AP mode with this card. But I get
> the aforementioned error if I do use one.

The "no IR" channel flag means that the driver (or well, cfg80211
regulatory rules in effect with the driver to be more exact) do not
allow any operation that would be initiating radiation by this device.
In other words, the device can connect to an existing AP as a station on
such a channel, but it cannot start an AP on the channel (or IBSS or
packet injection, for that matter).

This type of configuration with only channels 1-11 allowing AP mode to
be started is pretty common on dualband cards that are manufactured for
"world roaming" use (i.e., do not have any specific country code
programmed for them).