vht_capab reading 0x0 but `iw list` says otherwise

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 12:45:56 PDT 2015

On 2015-10-14 20:05:57 +0000, Krishna Chaitanya said:

> On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 12:12 AM, James Sumners
> <james.sumners at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Full config is below. If I understand the documentation[1] correctly, then
>> `hw_mode=g` implies the higher bands. But I must admit, it seems strange to
>> me that I don't need to set `hw_mode=ac` or something like `hw_mode=g,n,ac`.
>>
> hw_mode indicates the band, g=2.4 and a=5.
> The actual mode is indicated with ieee80211n/ieee80211ac.
>
> Please configure hw_mode=a and then try with the 11ac options.

Thank you for clarifying that. With the addition of Jouni's reply I
have been able to progress a little further. But I think I'm out of
luck with this wireless card. Even after finding a channel it likes, I
get "Could not set channel for kernel driver".

I'm including the full output of `iw list` for my device and hostapd's
log[1]. From my research, I believe I can use any of the DFS channels
marked "(no IR, radar detection)" in AP mode with this card. But I get
the aforementioned error if I do use one.

Have I missed something else?

[1] -- http://pastebin.com/CZPF1TiR

N.B.: I originally replied to this on the 15th or 16th, but it got
stuck in moderation queue due to the direct inclusion of the diagnistic
output