eapol_test and Microsoft NPS Radius PEAP MSCHAPV2

Klein, Thomas thomas.klein
Tue Mar 17 08:22:23 PDT 2015

Hello,

i do currently try to use eapol_test to verify if a Microsoft NPS Radius server is alive and does answer to PEAP MSCHAPV2 requests. I cannot get it to work and hope for some hints.

I do have a Windows Server 2008 R2 with hostap-2.3 from "http://sourceforge.net/projects/hostapd/".

I do use  a conf file:
network={
        ssid="test"
        key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
        eap=PEAP
        identity="DOMAIN\user"
        password="password"
        anonymous_identity="not anonymous"
        phase1="peaplabel=0"
        phase2="autheap=MSCHAPV2"
}

And a command:
eapol_test -c test.conf -s testsharedsecret  -a <npsservip> -A <clientIPofwin2008srv>

My test Windows Server is configured as Radius client in the NPS Radius server.
With Wireshark on the NPS Radius server i can see the request incoming and a reject for EAP.
The NPS Radius Server does not show this in the event log, so i do not have any error message.

eapol_test output will come in the next message, as the list is restricted to 25 kb ...