Dynamic deny list check in hostapd

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Fri Dec 18 10:24:35 PST 2015

On Fri, Dec 04, 2015 at 07:09:52PM +0100, Silvia SH wrote:
> We wrote ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd to hostapd.conf and then we
> follow this process:
>
> #sudo hostapd_cli interface our_iface

This does not do anything for the next call, i.e., the "interface"
command is only for the interactive use of hostapd_cli. If you need to
select a specific interface for a standalone command execution, the
-i<ifname> command line parameter can be used instead.

> #sudo hostapd_cli
> >  SET deny_mac_file /etc/hostapd.deny
> FAIL
>
> What's the correct way to send a "SET deny_mac_file /etc/hostapd.deny"
> to /var/run/hostapd?

That looks like a valid command. The main reason for getting FAIL out of
it is if the /etc/hostapd.deny file is malformed. hostapd debug output
should provide a reason for why the command failed.