ibss mode with wpa2 encryption?

Jouni Malinen j
Mon Nov 24 15:35:33 PST 2014

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 02:39:40PM -0800, Ben Greear wrote:
> I'm trying to get ath9k NICs to do wpa2 encryption on ibss
> networks with the config below.  I do not see any obvious errors
> in the supplicant logs, but it will not pass traffic.

> Is this supposed to work?  The peer station has a similar setup.

RSN IBSS is supposed to work and well, works at least with
mac80211_hwsim, but I have not tested with ath9k recently. Anyway, your
configuration has some issues that would likely explain traffic not
working.

>     proto=RSN
>     pairwise=NONE
>     group=TKIP

While TKIP is allowed, I'd use CCMP with RSN since TKIP does not make
much sense for a case where every single device supporting RSN will also
support CCMP. Anyway, the larger issue is with pairwise=NONE. That is
not really something I would have ever tested with RSN IBSS since proper
pairwise encryption should be used with RSN STAs. In other words,
replace those with pairwise=CCMP and group=CCMP to make this more
meaningful.