Hostapd nl80211 Monitor

Jouni Malinen j
Thu Jul 31 06:49:31 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 12:22:46PM -0400, Kevin Han wrote:
> I believe that in previous versions of hostapd (0.7.3), a monitor interface
> would be created by the nl80211 driver (called mon.wlan#) in order to
> handle management frames. However, in the newer versions of hostapd (2.0+)
> there is no longer a monitor interface being created. I am currently
> working on a project which requires the sending of 802.11 management frames
> to such a monitor interface in order to generate a response (e.g. sending a
> Probe Request frame and seeing a Probe Response). How could I go about
> doing this in the newer versions of hostapd (is there any way to bring up a
> monitor interface)?

If both hostapd and cfg80211/driver support the new nl80211 commands for
sending and receiving management frames from user space, that option is
used. I'd recommend your project to move to using that new interface as
well. If you cannot do that, you can modify driver_nl80211.c in hostapd
to force the old style with a separate monitor interface to be used.