What's the status of 802.11AC support?

Arend van Spriel arend
Tue Aug 5 01:10:07 PDT 2014

On 08/05/14 06:53, Pontus Karlsson wrote:
> I?m considering upgrading my WiFi NIC in my router and need to know,
> if I were to get an ASUS PCE-AC68
> (http://www.asus.com/us/Networking/PCEAC68/)
> What could I expect from this running hostapd in terms of speed and
> reliability?
>
> Bare in mind I?m very fresh when it comes to hostapd, I usually end up
> with a simple configuration
> that partially works for my needs and stick with that for a few years.
>
> As far as I understand it, 802.11AC in order to achieve higher speeds it
> needs to operate in both
> 2.4Ghz mode and 5Ghz mode simultaneously. Does this work properly in
> hostapd?

Hi Pontus,

The higher speeds in 11ac are depending on bandwidth doing 80MHz and
higher and some more stuff that falls under the term MCS. Anyway, 11ac
is only available in 5GHz. Probably stating the obvious but both AP and
STA clients must be 11ac capable. Attached is a sample config I used. It
is a bit tricky. The channel indicates the operating channel. I used
channel 36 and for 11ac you have to specify the center frequency using
vht_oper_centr_freq_seg0_idx, which is 42 in my case for 80MHz bandwidth
(vht_oper_chwidth=1). If I am not mistaken vht_oper_centr_freq_seg1_idx
is only used for 80+80 bandwidth.

Regards,
Arend