[RFC 0/4] hostapd: introduce Automatic Channel Selection (ACS)

Michal Kazior michal.kazior
Thu Jul 25 22:33:41 PDT 2013

On 25 July 2013 15:17, Johannes Berg <johannes at sipsolutions.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-07-25 at 13:11 +0200, Michal Kazior wrote:
>
>> This is an attempt at ressurecting ACS effort for hostapd.
>
> I'm not totally convinced that using remain-on-channel is best? We
> already have to scan at hostapd startup (for overlapping BSSes etc),
> maybe we should piggy-back on that?

Yes, that crossed my mind too. However there's currently no way of
telling a driver how long it should stay on each channel during scan.
We also wouldn't be totally piggy-backing the overlapping BSS scan
since ACS can do a couple of scan-cycles (unless we decide not to, and
simply do a very long scan on each channel once).

But yeah, using scan seems certainly simpler and would make it easier
to add BSS-based ACS in the future.

Pozdrawiam / Best regards,
Micha? Kazior.