Low Wi-Fi throughput

Alban JEANTHEAU alban.jeantheau
Mon Dec 16 02:16:54 PST 2013

Hi Antonio,

  Thank you for your answer. Please find my comments below:

*> why using WPA-NONE when you can use RSN ? WPA-NONE is not really WPA..>
How can you use CCMP with WPA-NONE?*

To be honest I didn't focus on key / ciphering configuration, and I copy an
existing configuration found somewhere. However
http://hostap.epitest.fi/gitweb/gitweb.cgi?p=hostap.git;a=blob_plain;f=wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
 states:
# mode: IEEE 802.11 operation mode

# 0 = infrastructure (Managed) mode, i.e., associate with an AP (default)
# 1 = IBSS (ad-hoc, peer-to-peer)
# 2 = AP (access point)
# Note: IBSS can only be used with key_mgmt NONE (plaintext and static WEP)
# and key_mgmt=WPA-NONE (fixed group key TKIP/CCMP). WPA-None requires
# following network block options:
# proto=WPA, key_mgmt=WPA-NONE, pairwise=NONE, group=TKIP (or CCMP, but not
# both), and psk must also be set.

*>     htmode=HT40-*

If I don't set htmode, I'm stuck with 54Mbps. If i set htmode=HT20, I
can use 72.2Mbps, if I set htmode=HT40- I can use 150Mbps. And you
guess right I am using openwrt, sorry for not mentionning it...

ht_capa file of my peer:

ht supported
cap: 0x02f2
    HT20/HT40
    Static SM Power Save
    RX Greenfield
    RX HT20 SGI
    RX HT40 SGI
    TX STBC
    RX STBC 2-streams
    Max AMSDU length: 3839 bytes
    No DSSS/CCK HT40
ampdu factor/density: 3/4
MCS mask: ff ff 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00
MCS tx params: 7

I am not sure I understand everything here. Why bit 19 is set in MCS
mask? What MCS tx params is? Only one stream in Tx?

  Cheers

Alban