about "IBSS RSN: Add a timeout for Authentication frame exchange"

Antonio Quartulli ordex
Wed Aug 28 11:37:15 PDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 08:28:43PM +0200, Nicolas Cavallari wrote:
> On 28/08/2013 19:08, Antonio Quartulli wrote:
> > - assuming that both the peers support Auth exchange, in case of frame loss, I
> >   think it would be better to delete the station and try again, rather than
> >   ignoring the Auth exchange at all. What do you think?
>
> Especially since this is what will happen anyway since your kernel patch
> to expire unauthenticated stations has been applied.

Right. So this will happen automatically.

> Manually resending an authentication frame might be another option, but
> it will not work if the peer does not support auth exchange at all.

In the latter case the other peer will immediately start sending EAPOL 1/4.
So we will do the same right after.

> On the other hand, starting an EAPOL exchange in a lossy environement is
> a bad idea, even if both peers runs wpasupplicant on linux. This cab
> easily end up in conditions where one peer will detect an hacking
> attempt and the exchange will stall, or even in funnier things when
> EAPOL 4/4 is dropped, since the supplicant has security enforced and the
> authenticator has not.

I'd simply not optimise the case "what if packet loss occurs" and I'd try to
stick to the current behaviour.

Regards,

--
Antonio Quartulli