Fedora 18, how do I get nl80211 or cfg80211 driver ?

Naipaul Ojar naipaul_ojar
Tue Apr 23 04:08:25 PDT 2013

Hi Chaitanya,

I have recently downloaded the hostapd v2.0, and I had some issues compiling due to missing
Netlink header files and libraries in Fedora 18.

When I compile it with the macro :-
CONFIG_DRIVER_NL80211=y

I get the fatal compile error, missing header files :-
       ../src/drivers/driver_nl80211.c:19:31: fatal error: netlink/genl/genl.h: No such file or directory

--> There is no such directory in my header files directory, there is no netlink directory.

cd /usr/include
ls -d n*
nc_tparm.h     ncursesw  netatalk   netinet    netpbm   nfs         nss.h
ncurses        ndbm.h    netax25    netipx     netrom   nl_types.h  numpy
ncurses_dll.h  net       netdb.h    netiucv    netrose  nspr4
ncurses.h      netash    neteconet  netpacket  newt.h   nss3

I have previously installed libnl.x86_64.1.1-16.fc18
and today I have installed libnl-devel.x86_64.1.1-16.fc18

The compilation has reached to the linking stage and has failed :-
/bin/ld: cannot find -lnl-gen1

Any ideas on what libraries will contain that module, nl-gen1 ?

Best Regards

Naipaul Ojar

May you have a blessed Day.
  ~~0~0~0~~