libnl-3.1/3.2 compilation issue

Yegor Yefremov yegor_sub1
Mon Sep 19 07:28:35 PDT 2011

Hello,

I was trying to compile wpa_supplicant against libnl-3.2.0 (Buildroot) and my build failed with following error message:

../src/drivers/driver_nl80211.c:22:31: fatal error: netlink/genl/genl.h: No such file or directory

the cause is, since libnl-3.1 header files will be installed to ../include/libnl3/netlink and not direct to ../include/netlink. See this commit message for explanations:
http://git.infradead.org/users/tgr/libnl.git/commitdiff/d3bb7c9cf16587c71fc01311fe6d8ae5a0280246?hp=1c9b175a47530f7ce38d934856a08df284c9cb8f

How can libnl version be automatically detected? One way were to call pkg-config in drivers.mak and set CFLAGS and LDFLAGS properly. See iw->Makefile for how they manage this (though this process must corrected to catch up with recent libnl changes):

http://git.sipsolutions.net/?p=iw.git;a=blob;f=Makefile;h=8443ee69f26fdabf603356c1895e6b036fc3a35e;hb=HEAD

What do you think about it?

Yegor