Question on forcing stations to be in particular a/b/g/n & HT mode.

Ben Greear greearb
Thu Oct 20 10:59:46 PDT 2011

On 10/20/2011 10:48 AM, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 02:43:40PM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
>> My use is purely for testing purposes (being able to use a single /a/b/g/n
>> chipset to emulate a/b/g stations as well as /n stations.
>>
>> It appears I have the disable-11n stuff working, and I'm now trying to
>> figure out how to disable ht40.
>>
>> Aside from testing, could this perhaps be useful to limiting power
>> consumption and/or working around strange issues with dodgy APs?
>> I realize it's a stretch, so if you see no use for it, I'll just
>> carry the patches in my own trees.
>
> If you can get through the needed patches to cfg80211, I can consider
> adding matching changes to wpa_supplicant.. ;-) For testing purposes,
> I'd guess this could be done without changing anything in wpa_supplicant
> since it does not really currently do any kind of mode selection (that
> is left to the driver).

I want to change individual (virtual) stations, so it seems easiest to
tell supplicant to set them as part of it's configuration logic.  I
have some fairly simple patches that appear to do some of this,
but it's all on top of my other patches.

For now, I'd rather spend effort getting my existing hostap patches upstream
...my patch sets are becoming a total pain.  When I get that sorted I'll
post these mode-forcing patches.

Thanks,
Ben

--