How to configure supplicant to only scan but not associate to AP

Jouni Malinen j
Wed Nov 16 00:54:14 PST 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 10:09:42AM +0530, Binesh wrote:
> Assuming I have supplicant.conf in which I have previously remembered
> networks, is there a way, at runtime to tell the supplicant "only scan for
> APs, but dont automatically associate with them" ?

You can use "wpa_cli scan" to trigger a scan. If wpa_supplicant is not
in a state where it tries to find an AP to connect with (e.g., "wpa_cli
disconnect") it won't try to associate based on scan results. If you
want to have the continues scanning without association attempts for
some reason, you can mark all network blocks disabled (disabled=1; e.g.,
with "wpa_cli disable_network all").