4 digit PIN for WPS2.0

Jouni Malinen j
Thu May 26 00:31:55 PDT 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 01:43:23PM +0530, soumya.sardar at wipro.com wrote:
> >From wpa_supplicant 0.8.x code, I could see only 8 digit PIN generation.
> But as pr my understanding from WPS2.0 spec, both 4 and 8 digit PIN
> generation MUST be supported.

There is no requirement of generating a 4-digit PIN; the requirement is
to be able to enter either 4- or 8-digit PINs. That is supported by
wpa_supplicant. If you want to use a 4-digit PIN on a limited UI device,
you can generate a random number externally and ask wpa_supplicant to
use that one. Since there are no checksum digit in 4-digit PIN, no
special steps are needed to do this.