What does this logentry mean: received EAPOL-Key 2/2 Group with unexpected replay counter

Jouni Malinen j
Mon May 16 12:16:18 PDT 2011

On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 05:31:59PM +0200, Klaus M?ller wrote:
> I'm using hostapd and WPA2 / TLS and get lot of these messages:
>
> 10:29:59 hostapd: wlan0: STA 33:33:33:33:33:33 WPA: group key handshake
> completed (RSN)
> 10:29:59 hostapd: wlan0: STA 33:33:33:33:33:33 WPA: received EAPOL-Key
> 2/2 Group with unexpected replay counter

It indicates that an unexpected EAPOL-Key frame was seen in group key
handshake and was ignored by hostapd.

> What does this mean? Did I do something wrong? Is there a fix for this
> or is it just normal?

This is most likely caused by hostapd having retried sending of the
EAPOL-Key message 1/2 and then receiving replies to both attempts of
that message and then ignoring the second response. This is most likely
normal behavior and should not cause problems. There have been some
changes recently to avoid similar issues by using a longer timeout for
EAPOL-Key frames. If you are seeing real issues (e.g., connection
failing), you could try the current snapshot of the development branch
(0.8.x) which includes those changes.