how do I run multiple hostapd's on multiple virtual nic's with nl80211

Jouni Malinen j
Wed Mar 16 03:38:03 PDT 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 07:38:55PM -0500, Cory Coager wrote:
> I am gentoo user that had this working with the madwifi driver but I
> recently upgraded my kernel and I'm having a lot of trouble with the new
> nl80211 driver. I used to run two separate hostapd daemons with
> different configs and I was able to run two separate access points. If I
> do that now with the nl80211 driver I get an error starting the second
> daemon:

Normal way of using multiple virtual BSSes with nl80211 would be to use
a single hostapd.conf and the bss parameter to start a new BSS (see
Multiple BSSID support example in the end of the hostapd.conf).