Avoid exhaustive scan when doing p2p_connect + join

Jouni Malinen j
Tue Mar 15 07:04:41 PDT 2011

On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 08:02:51AM +0000, Dani Camps wrote:

> 1) p2p_find ---> That discovers the existent group and returns the MAC of the
> GO: GO_MAC
> 2) p2p_stop_find ---> Stops the scan through social channels
> 3) p2p_connect $GO_MAC 12345670 join --> The problem is here, because
> "p2p_connect + join" starts an exhaustive scan before moving to WPS
> provisioning. What I would like is to avoid the full scan, and start WPS
> provisioning as soon as GO_MAC is discovered. Is this possible ?

A current scan result for the GO is needed here, so some sort of
scanning is likely to be needed. However, this sounds like a case where
the initial scan for join (see wpas_p2p_join_scan) could be made to
request only a single channel to be scanned if the channel is already
known. Though, it should also be noted that if you were to use PBC
instead of PIN, there is a requirement of scanning all channels in WPS
(for PBC session overlap detection). Anyway, with PIN, there should not
be any particular reason for scanning other channels than the known
operating channel of the GO.