How to get notification of new 802.1x authentications?

Jouni Malinen j
Tue Mar 15 04:39:56 PDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 01:11:41PM +0000, Ed W wrote:
> What are my options to get notifications of new authenticated clients
> via 802.1x please?  It seems like I might be able to use the control
> socket, and watching hostapd_cli I see a basic notification of a MAC
> connect?

"AP-STA-CONNECTED <MAC address>" event on the control interface is
likely the best option at this point.

> Is it possible to get DBUS notifications from hostapd on new client
> connect and auth?  Google finds me some patch activity around dbus, and
> the source shows me some wpa_supplicant dbus functions, but it's not
> obvious that there is hostapd/dbus notifications?

hostapd does not yet support D-Bus. The D-Bus code in wpa_supplicant
would (soon) allow this to be done in AP mode.