Hostap kills routing entries

Jouni Malinen j
Sat Jun 18 09:29:06 PDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 09:51:49AM +0200, Ortwin Gl?ck wrote:
> I have some custom routing entries on the wireless network (for IPv6). However
> when hostap starts it deletes these routing entries! How can I avoid that? Ugly
> alternative, how can I tell hostap to add custom routes?

hostapd does not explicitly delete any routing entries; the networking
stack may do that for some routes when the interface goes down, though.
The problem here is that it may not be possible to set the interface in
AP mode without setting it down at some point during the process (this
depends on the driver that is used). I don't think that adding the
routing entries belongs to hostapd, so I would rather do this based on
netlink events in another program. E.g., you could look for interface up
events and (re-)add entries whenever that shows up.