bss_max_count needed in real-world scenario

Jouni Malinen j
Fri Jul 15 01:36:01 PDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 02:43:31PM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
> As a follow-up, it appears they have around 650 APs in this facility,
> though you probably can't hear them all at once.
>
> Not sure how many are on the same ESSID, but perhaps all of them (with multiple
> ESSIDs per AP).
>
> Maybe default the value large, and let users on small boxes decrease it
> to save memory?

Seeing more than 200 APs at a time sounds uncommon enough and having
more than 200 APs with the same SSID and not finding one that is usable
sounds very unlikely.. As such, I don't see enough justification to
change the default value. Selecting unconfigured BSSes first for
dropping extra BSS entries should easily cover this types of cases. You
would need to have a network with more than 200 APs that actually match
a configured a network, but then not work while the 201st AP would.. And
even in that case, it would take ages to try each AP to finally find the
working one even if the limit were increased.