Is this a bug or my fault?

Nithyananthan Poosamani nithy.psg
Mon Jul 11 14:35:50 PDT 2011

Hi All,

I am a research student at Networking Research Laboratory (NRL) at North
Carolina State University. I aim to develop a new scanning algorithm for
Android Wifi Scanning and so I wanted to first compile wpa_supplicant source
code without modifications, test it's working by porting to phone and then
start actual modifications in it.

I stumbled upon your page (http://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_supplicant/) where
you have given a link to download version 0.6.10 tar file. I downloaded it.
I could not find .config file in that directory. So I copied .config file
from the wpa_supplicant directory which I downloaded from Github and then
enabled for Wext driver in .config file and run the make file for Android
with arm cross compiler toolchain.

*make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-eabi-*

The makefile completed without any error and generated the binary.

I copied wpa_supplicant binary to /system/bin directory of my HTC Nexus One
phone and tried to start the wpa supplicant back-end service as a front-end
service with debugging option.

*wpa_supplicant -Dwext -ieth0 -c/data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf -dd*

I gave me an error and did not start the wpa supplicant service. The phone
started to reboot every 10 seconds and I loaded my original wpa_supplicant
binary to make it work again.

*error wpa_supplicant: 1 : Unexpected '(' found*

*Is this a bug or did I make any fault?*

Can any of you share the .config file and Makefile so that I can verify if
any patches need to be done?

I would very glad if you can help me in this. Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Nithyananthan Poosamani