bss_max_count needed in real-world scenario

Ben Greear greearb
Mon Jul 11 10:18:28 PDT 2011

We had a user testing our wifi station emulator in a big, new
trade-show facility, and there were so many APs there that
supplicant would not associate.

Turns out, we needed to set the bss_max_count to something
larger (we chose 2000).  Then it worked like a charm.

However, I suspect that many folks are not aware of this
setting and will be disappointed when they fire up their
Linux laptop in this building.  It is quite difficult
to debug what is going on...we mainly got lucky with a
google search to find this bss_max_count option.

I'd suggest either making the bss-count larger by default,
able to grow dynamically, or at the very least, big loud
warning messages with suggested config changes in the
logs when there are more BSS's than can fit in the
current buffers.

Thanks,
Ben

--