wpa_supplicant 0.7.3 mode = 2 is not working

Dan Williams dcbw
Thu Jan 13 08:44:05 PST 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 12:00 +0100, Juan Carlos Garza Fernandez wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I am trying to set a Realtek 8188su device to work as an Access Point
> (master), on a linux 2.6.24 kernel.
>

> Im confused about wpa_supplicant to add mode=2 in its latest releases,
> what is the difference between that and the functionality that hostpd
> provides?

mode 2 is a very minimal AP-mode functionality that only supports
WPA-PSK and below and not all the options that hostapd supports.  I'm
pretty sure it requires a mac80211-based driver, but I could be wrong.
Which is probably why you're having problems with it, because the driver
you're using is not an upstream kernel driver based on mac80211.  Most
of the ioctls that vendor drivers use for this sort of thing are
proprietary and non-standard and thus not easily supportable in the
supplicant, while mac80211 provides a standard, robust infrastructure
for it.

Dan