802.11a/n

Grant emailgrant
Thu Aug 18 11:16:54 PDT 2011

>>> I presume this is driven by the CRDA regulatory stuff? (Please correct me?)
>>>
>>> If you are using some modern distro then it's probably done in userspace
>>> using the crda service (more on the wiki). If you are building your own
>>> then you can compile into the kernel your own regional settings (ie what
>>> *you* are allowed to use) by editing: linux/net/wireless/db.txt
>>
>> I switched to kernel control of regional settings and channels without
>> editing db.txt and the channels which are supposed to work in the US
>> without DFS started working: 36, 40, 44, 48, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165.
>> I noticed in dmesg I had:
>>
>> cfg80211: Calling CRDA for country: US
>>
>> Switching back from kernel control to crda again disabled all 5ghz
>> channels and in dmesg I only get:
>>
>> cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
>>
>> I noticed that the channel allowances for country 00 match what is
>> enabled for me under crda. ?The kernel must set my country to US and
>> crda must set it to 00. ?I'm using crda-1.1.1 and
>> wireless-regdb-20101124 which are Gentoo's latest versions. ?Does
>> anyone know what could be wrong? ?Are these packages created by
>> Gentoo, meaning I should file a bug with them?
>
> Hi, I am also using gentoo:
>
> a) I think you will see that there is some 2011 package if you unmask it?

I just synced and I have:

# ls -l /usr/portage/net-wireless/wireless-regdb
total 28
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4013 Mar 18 09:31 ChangeLog
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2294 Mar 18 09:31 Manifest
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  357 Jan 15  2009 metadata.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  821 Mar 20  2009 wireless-regdb-20090115.ebuild
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  914 Nov  4  2009 wireless-regdb-20091104.ebuild
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  914 Nov 26  2009 wireless-regdb-20091125.ebuild
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  914 Mar 18 09:18 wireless-regdb-20101124.ebuild

> b) I seem to remember fiddling with this and deciding that userspace was
> a lot of work given that I update kernels more frequently than the
> userspace tool was being updated...
>
> I *think* you will find that you need to watch VERY closely what is
> really going on here. ?I think that there is a) card default regulatory,
> b) kernel default, c) regulatory spotted from nearby basestations, d)
> some peculiar choices if there isn't a regulatory exactly matching what
> it's trying to search for (goes to "world" instead?)
>
> So in your regulatory DB, check what the 00 world settings are and it's
> likely that you are getting these rather than US?

That's exactly what happens with userspace crda, but if I enable
CONFIG_CFG80211_INTERNAL_REGDB and I don't edit db.txt at all, the US
channels all work.

- Grant