fast roaming with hostapd and wpa_supplicant

Jouni Malinen j
Mon Jun 14 10:00:43 PDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 04:36:31AM -0700, Vieri wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone actually managed to get "fast roaming" to work as described in:
> http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hostap/2010-May/021482.html

That message seems to be mentioning multiple different options.. The
current development trees of hostapd, wpa_supplicant, Linux wireless LAN
support both IEEE 802.11 RSN pre-authentication and IEEE 802.11r. And
yes, you may need to get a development snapshots instead of release
version of the software components to get all the fixes included at this
point.

> Which linux driver actually supports 802.11r?

I would expect most mac80211-based drivers to work. I'm mainly testing
with ath9k, so that is the only one I can say that I've seen working
properly.