not able to connect to local wireless with wpa_supplicant

Holger Schurig holgerschurig
Wed Feb 17 04:34:14 PST 2010

> could you help me interpret above output and tell me what is
happening
> there?

Some key lines are this:

   Associated to a new BSS: BSSID=00:18:84:1d:83:fa

This means that association to this AP worked perfectly.

Now wpa_supplicant search which of the network blocks in
wpa_supplicant.conf matches this entry. It needs this in case
the association is only "die halbe Miete", e.g. for WPA or WPA2,
you first need to associate and then you need to do the 4-way
handshake. So wpa_supplicant must know if and what keys it
should set. So it needs a network block to obtain this info.

Unfortunately, it doesn't succeed:

   Select network based on association information
   No network configuration found for the current AP

This happens in events.c, the function wpa_supplicant_get_ssid()
doesn't yield a result. I guess this is because the SSID of your
network isn't returned via WEXT. If my guess is right, then you
won't see the SSID when you call "iwconfig", too.

Maybe your local AP doesn't broadcast the SSID, while the other
one does this.

By the way: you said that you compiled your own wpa_supplicant.
When doing so, why did you use the old WEXT?  For me (libertas,
ath5k) Cfg80211 is already superior.

--
http://www.holgerschurig.de