wpa_supplicant on Windows takes a long time to connect to WLAN

Jouni Malinen j
Sat Feb 13 06:44:19 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 07:33:56AM -0800, Vieri wrote:

> I'm running wpa_supplicant on Windows XP clients with Ralink wlan nic driver v. 1.4.12.0. They connect to Linksys WAP2000 access points with "WPA-Enterprise" wireless security.
> I've setup a Linux freeradius server for the authentication.
>
> Sometimes, wifi connection works relatively quickly and as "expected".
> However, quite frequently I have problems connecting to the network (ie. I can easily reproduce the problem).

> I'm attaching the wpa_supplicant debug log. I can also send the freeradius log if required.

I did not find any clear indication from the debug log other than
something being wrong and whatever it is, is likely outside the scope of
wpa_supplicant functionality.

This would require debugging at the driver level (which may be difficult
in this case) or at least taking a look with a wireless sniffer to check
whether the EAPOL frames are being sent properly (i.e., whether they are
lost somewhere since wpa_supplicant does not see them) or whether there
could be some low-level issues that prevent them from being transmitted.