EAPOL wired clients

Panagiotis Georgopoulos panos
Mon Dec 6 08:52:58 PST 2010

Hello all,

                I have two questions regarding authentication of wired
clients (wpa_supplicant) to hostapd :

a)      Can one instance of hostapd handle both wireless clients on wlan0
and wired clients on eth0?

If I run two hostapd instances, one for wired clients and one for Ethernet
clients, I am getting a "bind already in use" error, followed by "Failed to
open UDP socket for RADIUS authentication server" which I am guessing is
because the first instance is listening for packets on 1812. which leads us
to the following question.

b)      Can I use the internal RADIUS auth server for both wired and
wireless clients at the same time with two instances of hostapd? How?

By the way, I was able to find wpa_supplicant configuration for a wired
client, but I haven't had much luck with a working equivalent for hostapd..
any pointers?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Panos

Ps. I understand that using a proper RADIUS server such as freeRadius will
be easier here, but I need to do some tests using hostapd if possible..