[patch] WPS: hostapd fails to proxy registrations with Intel ext. registrar

Jouni Malinen j
Tue Apr 6 00:50:08 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 12:37:07PM +0300, Andriy Tkachuk wrote:
> I used PROSet version 11.5.0.0 (that conforms with
> WPS_TestPlan_v1-10_2009-11-02a.pdf)

OK. I was able to reproduce this.

> BTW, why you are against dots in mac address format so much - is it
> really so critical?

I want to be able to build a tool that verifies WPS protocol correctness
and for that to work properly, a strict parser is useful. In addition,
there are many users of hwaddr_aton() and I do not want to review them
for potential issues with changed behavior. The change you proposed is
unlikely to cause problems, but this could as well be extended to handle
formats that have different length (e.g., 0011.2233.4455) and at that
point, the existing users may not work anymore.

There is now a new function, hwaddr_aton2(), that will accept various
MAC address text formats (including ones with different length) and it
returns the number of used characters on success. I added the workaround
code for PutWLANResponse handling and that resolved the interoperability
issue with Intel PROSet.