WPA with TKIP done

Andriy Tkachuk andriy.v.tkachuk
Wed Sep 2 05:59:22 PDT 2009

On 2009-09-02 15:06, Marty Galyean wrote:
> The attacker doesn't literally have to physically be in between the AP and
> STA, right?  The "middle" part just means the attacker is posing as the
> STA to the AP from any location that can receive both the AP and STA
> packets.  This could be a couple of hundred feet away or more with the
> right antenna.

No. Man-in-the-middle attack implies that "the attacker makes
independent connections with the victims and relays messages between
them, making them believe that they are talking directly to each other
over a private connection when in fact the entire conversation is
controlled by the attacker"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-in-the-middle_attack). In particular,
in our wireless case that means that "the attacker needs to prevent the
client from receiving the data packet he chooses for the chopchop
attack, and must disconnect the client from the access point for the
time of the attack, so that the TSC counter is not increased by the
packet or following packets."
(http://dl.aircrack-ng.org/breakingwepandwpa.pdf)

Regards,
    Andriy