How to use WPS support with madwifi driver, or should I use some other Wi-Fi card

Jouni Malinen j
Thu Mar 19 11:16:51 PDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 09:30:10PM +0800, Wuhua Xu wrote:

> I'm trying to run WPS client with madwifi 0.9.4 and wpa_supplicant 0.6.8,
> but cannot find WPS support from my APs. My APs do have WPS turned on.
> I run "wpa_cli scan_results", and my APs was found and printed out, but
> without [WPS] flag.
> I think the reason is that madwifi just skip the beacon with WSC OUI and
> doesn't report it though ioctl SIOCGIWSCAN. Correct me if I'm wrong.
> My question is can I still run wpa_supplicant as WPS client with madwifi
> driver? Should I fix this issue in madwifi driver or is there any
> workaround?

I don't remember whether I've tested this with madwifi. If the driver
does not include all IEs (or well, at least WPS IE) in scan results, you
won't be able to use WPS. However, I would expect that you could use the
ath5k driver with your WLAN card.

> And please tell me the Wi-Fi card that works well with the WPS client
> functionality of  wpa_supplicant.

I'm mostly testing with Atheros 802.11n card and ath9k driver and that
combination works fine. Anyway, this should work with any driver that
uses mac80211.