EAP-TLS problems with RHEL 5.3

Dan Williams dcbw
Tue Mar 10 14:44:31 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 10:10 -0700, jim.sifferle at tektronix.com wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I am having problems getting Redhat Enterprise Linux 5.3 working using
> our EAP-TLS corporate WLAN.  I am using the following:
>

> - RHEL 5.3, default ?2.6.18-128.el5? kernel, rtl8187 kernel module (RH
> backported rtl8187+mac80211 from 2.6.25 / 2.6.26)
>
> - Netgear WG111 v2 USB wireless adapter
>
> - wpa_supplicant 0.5.10-8 (default RHEL 5.3 package)
>
> - dhclient 3.0.5 (default RHEL 5.3 package)
>

> - Cisco 1240AG A/B/G access points, IOS 12.3(8)JEA
>
>    - x3 active ESSIDs (LEAP+CKIP-CMIC, EAP-TLS+TKIP/AES_CCM, Open,
> non-encrypted)
>
> - MS Windows Server 2K3 / IAS RADIUS server
>

> I cannot reliably associate to our APs.  I have successfully
> associated 3-4 times, however most of the time wpa_supplicant cycles
> from SCANNING to ASSOCIATING to DISCONNECTED.  The few times I have

This mostly sounds like a driver problem.  If you don't even get to
ASSOCIATED, then you won't get anywhere near the EAP-TLS part of the
process.  You can file a bugzilla against the kernel package for your
bug, and please include the output of a wpa_supplicant run with "-dddt"
logging options.  If you have a support contract with Red Hat, you can
also contact your support representative who will push the issue up the
chain as well.  More noise == good.

Dan