New DBus API proposal - supplemental.

Witold Sowa witold.sowa
Sat Jul 11 15:38:58 PDT 2009

Hi,
I received an email from supplicant user, asking how he could obtain which
network and which BSSID supplicant is currently connected with. I realized that
we cannot achieve it with old API or with the new one, but I think it would
quite useful to have access to that information.
I propose, that we could add two additional properties to the new API:

I: fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1.Interface

P: CurrentNetwork (read-only) -> o
P: CurrentBSS (read-only) -> o

or alternatively we could add a boolean property like "CurrentlyAssociated" to
fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1.Interface.BSS and fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1.Interface.Network
interfaces.

wpa_supplicant structure already contains appropriate information (current_ssid
and bssid fields), so implementation would be quite easy.

What do you think about it?

Witek.