wpasupplicant is ignored by the OS

Jouni Malinen j
Fri Jan 23 03:26:30 PST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 12:54:34PM -0200, Sergio Belkin wrote:

> I am trying to use a wpa supplicant configuration file on Fedora 10
> but it is ignored completely by the OS. I tried even disabling
> NetworkManager, but then I have no wireless connection at all.
>
> Please how can I make to OS honours wpa supplicant, it's the only way
> to use advanced configuration that NetworkMager still lacks.

If by "OS" you are referring to full Fedora Core package and its network
configuration, it is using wpa_supplicant through Network Manager and as
such, by disabling Network Manager, you disable wpa_supplicant.

If you want to run wpa_supplicant manually, you can obviously do that
from the command line with the configuration file you created. If you
expect this to happen somehow automatically when you have disabled
Network Manager, you will probably need to write some startup scripts to
do that.