Long delays for a DCHP ACK message being sent after connecting to the Access Point

john dowd jdowdster
Thu Jan 22 07:30:05 PST 2009

Sorry about that, my keyboard is a bit of a lemon. I've continued this
email where I accidently ended...

 I'm posting this having used hostapd for about 2 months now in setting
 up a system to demonstrate an application based on wireless networking
 and the SIP protocol.

 My system requires version 0.6.6 hostapd (minimum) as well as the
 rt2x00 kernel from the rt2x00 git repository in order to use a rt73
 based chipset. This all does work and is very stable. I startup the PC
 and up comes hostapd and the USB wireless dongle is configured as a
 proper Access Point using WPA2 and a "perfect key" for encryption. I
 start DHCPD and I can start my remote device (it's actually a Openmoko
 Neo Freerunner mobile phone) and it will send out its DHCP discover
 packets. I can sniff on the Access Point interface end and see that
 the remote device is sending the DHCP Discover packets and that DHCPD
 is sending the DHCP Offer packets to the device. Usually, this
 resolves itself as anyone would expect with the remote device sending
 the DHCP ACK and the network being able to now communicate.

BUT!!

Occasionally, I get the scenario that the system is performing as per
described above up until the remote device is sending the DHCP
Discover packets. The Access Point side is sending the DHCPD Offer
packets but they just don't seem to be seen by the remote device. This
can go on for hours and then, the remote device will send an ACK and
we have a connection. I see no errors while this is going on. I do see
some activity from hostapd that I would expect since I would gather
that the wireless connection needs some maintenance but no errors are
obvious.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this and would know either
what the problem could be or where I should be looking to fix this.

Cheers!!

--
    John Dowd

    133 Waverley St.