Use hostapd to set master mode?

Grant emailgrant
Sat Feb 21 13:47:29 PST 2009

>> I'm being told in #madwifi that I need to use hostapd to set master
>> mode with ath5k since iwconfig gives me:
>>
>> ath0 does not support setting the mode to "master"
>>
>> I've always set master mode with iwconfig and then started hostapd to
>> control authentication.  How can I use hostapd to set master mode?
>
> By starting it.. Just set driver=nl80211 in hostapd.conf and hostapd
> takes care of the details.

I just tried that but I get:

Failed to set interface ath0 to master mode.
nl80211 driver initialization failed.
rmdir[ctrl_interface]: No such file or directory
ELOOP: remaining socket: sock=5 eloop_data=...

Could the problem be that my udev renames wlan0 to ath0, or is that
just an arbitrary label?

- Grant